HUMAN RESOURCES GENERALIST
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Department: Human Resources
Status: Non- exempt/full-time
CHARACTERISTICS OF WORK:
This is administrative work with responsibility for comprehensive administration of general human resources functions. Plans, develops, coordinates and implements all recruitment and talent acquisition efforts, to include maintaining the applicant tracking system and recruitment software, sourcing, job posting, interviewing, writing job descriptions, attending job fairs, interviewing and selecting. Coordinates and conducts new hire orientation and assist with onboarding. Assists in researching, writing and communicating HR policies. Serves as secondary payroll processor. Assists with talent and performance management. Assists with Risk and Worker’s Compensation management. Oversees the administration of internship and apprenticeship programs. Assists with other aspects of Human Resources administration, and aids other members of the HR team with special projects, events, and related activities.
HR Administration – 90%, Special Projects – 10%
The following competencies describe the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes that lead to a successful employee in this position. An applicant will be expected to exhibit these competencies or the ability to reach competency achievement within a specified time. These competencies are linked to the essential functions of the job. Employees in this position may be evaluated on these competencies as part of the performance appraisal system.
Demonstrates an understanding of the full range of principles, terms, techniques, trends and procedures, laws and regulations, and practices associated with the field human resources, such as:
- Implements human resources programs by providing human resources services, including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, benefits, training and development, records management, safety and health, succession planning, employee relations and retention, AA/EEO compliance, and labor relations.
- Partners with management to assess hiring needs, create job descriptions, post, source, screen, interview, select and onboard.
- Supports the day-to-day processing of documents and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Performs accurate data entry of new hire documents, with impeccable attention to detail.
- Processes worker’s compensation and risk management claims and maintain accurate documentation.
- Serve as the first point of contact for human resources and answers related questions about policies, procedures, benefits, payroll, training, etc.
- Assists with writing and communicating policies and procedures.
- Serves as secondary payroll processor, generates payment requests and payroll delivery.
- Assists with all aspects of training and development.
- Maintains an HRIS (ADP Workforce Now) and learning management system (Cornerstone).
- Communicates, build rapport and nurture relations.
- Communicates as a change agent, to a diverse group of individuals by building awareness, inspiring, coaching and motivating.
- Understands and applies human resources practices, laws, compliance, etc.
- Utilizes current and modern job-related equipment, computer hardware, software applications, and best practices.
- Models behaviors that positively reflects a high degree of integrity, morals and values in alignment with the HR Profession
- Models desired team behaviors of punctuality, adaptability, and accountability for assigned work.
- Other duties as assigned.
Communication and Guest Service
- Communicates effectively, listens, speaks, writes, and interacts in a tactful and persuasive manner in both a work and public setting. This includes effective interview skills.
- Develops positive working relationships, team oriented, diffuses hostile situations and manages conflict appropriately.
- Commits to guest and quality service by communicating guest service philosophies and standards, while guiding and orienting others in effective guest strategies. Encourages others to continually improve guest service.
Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Understands the organizational mission, core values, policies, rules, regulations, procedures, programs, services, etc.
- Formulates, analyzes and interprets complex information, follow complex instructions, and effectively resolve complex challenges associated with the work.
- Uses good judgment and make independent decisions, as a part of the group decision-making process.
- Meets deadlines, defines, measures and evaluates training projects and program results. Prioritizes and sets deadlines for one’s own work.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or a related field is preferred; industry certification in PHR, SHRM-CP or higher is preferred.
Minimum of three to five years as an HR generalist.
Experienced using an HRIS and Learning Management System (preferably ADP Workforce Now and Cornerstone LMS).
Must have the ability to think critically, logistically with good coordination skills.
Must be detailed oriented, with the ability to enter accurate data, and possess good organizational skills.
Must have excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Must have the ability to work independently, use good judgment and exercise confidentiality.
Must be able to work well in a team environment.
Must have an orientation for people with excellent communications and interviewing skills.
Some creativity is expected in this role in order to maintain current and relevant processes and procedures associated with the work.
Extensive sitting, with periodic standing, walking, stooping, bending, lifting, carrying, climbing, etc.
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and competencies of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description. The BJCC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. This organization uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
Location/Region: Birmingham, AL