Director of Transportation
The South Portland School Department is seeking an energetic, organized, and detail-oriented individual to oversee all operations of its Transportation Department. The Department buses over 1,000 students in more than 20 vehicles per day and employs 25 permanent staff. In addition, the Transportation Department maintains its own service and repair facility.
The successful candidate will be an excellent problem-solver who is organized and flexible and can handle stressful situations when they occur. Specific qualities the successful candidate will have include:
• Strong leadership and supervisory skills;
• The ability to manage competing priorities and meet the needs of various stakeholders;
• Excellent organizational, planning, and oral/written communication skills;
• A thorough understanding of the key elements of excellent customer service;
• Ability to work independently as well as part of the District’s management team; and
• Intimate familiarity with budget development and expense tracking and control procedures.
Other qualities that are preferred but not required are:
• An extensive knowledge of the laws, regulations, reporting requirements, and common procedures that pertain to commercial transportation, and ideally, public student transportation;
• Experience working with a diverse and collectively bargained workforce;
• Knowledge of scheduling and routing software, preferably a student scheduling and routing software such as Transfinder; and
• Knowledge of the mechanical systems of commercial vehicles, ideally Type A, C and D buses.
This is an exempt, salaried, full-year position with a starting salary in the mid $60s depending upon experience and qualifications. The South Portland School Department offers a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave; a generous contribution towards health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance; and a matching contribution to a 457(b) retirement plan.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
The South Portland School Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The South Portland School Department is one of the largest school departments in the state with enrollment of over 3,000 students and approximately 600 permanent staff. The School Department is open almost year-round, providing instruction to pre-K to Grade 12 students. The Department also offers night adult education classes and has an active athletics program with boys and girls teams competing at the middle school and high school level during the Fall, Winter, and Spring seasons. In addition, the School Department offers a wide-range of co-curricular activities for its students that involves music, drama, art, and technology (e.g., Robotics competitions).
Please submit a cover letter and updated resume on School Spring