As Assistant Coach, you are responsible for reporting to the Director of Athletics and working in conjunction with the head coach.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
• Recruiting and maintaining the appropriate number of student athletes.
• Fostering an environment that supports and encourages each student-athlete to graduate
in a timely fashion
• Maintaining a competitive won/loss record of at least .500 in your division and qualifying the team for the Region XIX Tournament.
• Developing and maintaining the skill, discipline and integrity of team during games and practice through effective coaching.
• Statistical reporting and public relations including, but not limited to updating administration with every score and game highlight after each game, and keeping NJCAA Coaches’ Website pages up to date.
• You are charged with the knowledge of and shall adhere to the athletic polices and protocol of Union County College and the eligibility requirements and rules and regulations of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA).
• Attending the Athletic Orientation and Coaches Council meetings.
• Conducting yourself and the Team in such a manner as to reflect a positive image for the team and Union County College, both on and off the playing arena. You are charged with ensuring that both you and the members of the team conduct yourselves with a high degree of moral integrity as representatives of Union County College at all public appearances whether on or off campus.
• Driving the team to and from road games in a safe manner. Ensuring coaches are able to serve as backups, following school van policy.
• The Assistant Coach may be responsible for notifying appropriate contacts if lost or late for a game, reporting of scores to the Director of Athletics, submitting timely expense reports.
• Established and maintain an active e-mail address.
• Follow medical guidelines for injured athletes per ATC/Team physician.
• Assistant Coach must be present at all games and practices.
• Assistant Coach must read, acknowledge, sign, and follow the NJCAA Coaching Principles, Coaching Creed, and the NJCAA Coaching Excellence Contract.
• Must encourage athletes to attend select athletic events in support of other teams.
• Performing such other functions in connection with your position as may be assigned by the Director of Athletics.
• Associate’s Degree required.
• Three (3) years’ experience in coaching preferred at the college level.
• Playing experience required.
• Valid Driver’s License required and clean driving record.
Competencies and Skills Required
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• This position’s duties are normally performed in an outside setting or inside gymnasium as work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Some travel required.
• Must pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
Union County College does not discriminate and prohibits discrimination, as required by state and/or federal law, in all programs and activities, including employment and access to its career and technical programs.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Terms of Employment
Seasonal employment, per individual contract. Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off- campus sites as needed by the college. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.
About this company
As the oldest community college in New Jersey, UCC has been serving both career-minded and transfer-oriented students since 1933. The College has maintained its commitment to scholarship by providing a solid liberal arts foundation while, at the same time, developing new programs and courses that meet the challenges of a rapidly developing society.
UCC is focused on ensuring that our programs and facilities are equipped to prepare students for the intellectual and technological demands of the 21st century. All four UCC campuses boast advanced data and voice infrastructures that can support the latest in computer hardware and software. All credit students are offered their own college e-mail accounts through which they can communicate with UCC's outstanding faculty, fellow students, and the vast world of knowledge and information available through the World Wide Web. Distance learning opportunities, such as courses by videotape, are increasing with each semester.
Even more important, UCC has a reputation for providing its diverse student body with a nurturing and supportive environment. Student services from counseling and financial aid to the tutoring provided by the Academic Learning Centers on each campus are in place to ensure student success.
For those wishing to pursue a bachelors degree, the economics of spending the first two years at Union County College coupled with the dual admissions and transfer /articulation agreements that the College has in place, can ease the road to junior year status at a long list of colleges and universities throughout the U.S. While here, students have the chance to participate in a range of activities. These include a five-star chapter of the honor society of Phi Theta Kappa, an award-winning student newspaper, a modern fitness center, and a range of athletic programs. In 1998, the UCC Owls and Lady Owls were the first teams from one college to become the Men's and Women's Garden State Athletic Conference Basketball Champions in the same year.
Whether you are a recent high school graduate, an adult returning to school after a hiatus, an employee seeking additional training or a new career, Union County College can be your . . . access to the 21st century!
Location/Region: Cranford, NJ