OCWA, Central New York’s Water Authority, seeks candidates for the position Water Maintenance Worker I, civil service job #60630, to join the Distribution Department. The work involves responsibility for performing semi-skilled tasks in the installation, maintenance and repair of water mains and services. This class involves the application of plumbing skills to a variety of tasks involving installation and repair of services, laying of water mains and related jobs. Assignments are received from a crew leader in the form of verbal communication or job order form. Work may be reviewed in progress or upon completion by visual observation or through submission of forms indicating job performed. Depending upon size of task, an employee in this class normally works as a team member under the general supervision of a crew leader; on small tasks the employee may function independently. Supervision is not a regular responsibility of the position. Does related work as required. The position is full-time, and the work hours are Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. with some overtime work as needed.
Typical work activities may include:
- Acting as a team member, may be involved in breaking of pavement by use of a pneumatic drill.
- Assists in excavating by using shovels and picks to remove dirt; shores up excavations; directs the crane operator in lowering of mains; connects pipes through use of welding equipment, and tightens bolts connecting sections.
- Assists in the setting up and connection of meter pits and hydrants.
- Locates and repairs curb boxes.
- Flushes hydrants to clean lines.
- Repairs leaking valves; replaces broken valves; removes old valve and installs new valves.
- Installs fire lines; assembles fittings.
- Operates tapping equipment and installs tapping sleeves.
- Makes service taps and installs new service lines.
- During winter months may thaw out service and hydrants.
- May check pumps and perform minor servicing and maintenance.
- May install meters for new services.
- May operate a motor vehicle, to and from work assignments.
- May do preventative maintenance on equipment used in performance of job.
- May occasionally read commercial and residential meters.
- May perform tasks in the operation section requiring similar semi-skilled maintenance.
- May occasionally cut grass and shovel snow.
- Full performance knowledges, skills, abilities and personal characteristics:
Good knowledge of the maintenance and service practices utilized in a water distribution system.
Good knowledge of the tools and terminology as they relate to the operation of a water distribution system.
Good knowledge of the preventative measures taken to eliminate work associated accidents.
Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
Ability to follow oral and simple written instructions.
Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees.
Ability to perform the work as required.
Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an associate degree in Engineering Science or in an engineering technology field; or,
B. Two (2) years of paraprofessional or professional work experience, or its part-time equivalent, in civil engineering.
OCWA is a civil service agency, hiring in accordance with New York State civil service regulations. This is a competitive position. There is currently no eligible list available. In the absence of a valid list, hiring will be done provisionally and in accordance with Civil Service guidelines. The successful candidate will be required to take the Engineering Technician I examination, when scheduled, and must score among the top three highest scoring individuals, taking the examination, to retain their position. For full job specifications and more information about civil service please visit www.ongov.net/employment/.
If you meet the minimum qualifications and are interested in applying for the position, please complete an online application at www.ocwa.org. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
OCWA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. OCWA complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Location/Region: Syracuse, NY (13221)