BISHOP STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Posted Date: October 23, 2020
Closing Date: November 6, 2020
Position: Director of Marketing and Public Relations
• Bachelor degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Public Relations, Marketing, or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
• Three (3) years of work experience performing professional level writing, or working for a public relations/marketing firm.
• Documented experience in electronic publishing and web page development and maintenance.
• Experience in an education or corporate environment is preferred.
• Master degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Public Relations, Marketing or related field is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Responsibilities:
• Ability to write feature articles, success stories, sports articles, and press releases.
• Ability to capture pictures to support articles written for the College.
• Ability to produce articles that include technical and creative writing skills.
• Knowledge of advertising printing and publication layout procedures.
• Ability to develop Power Point presentations and Microsoft Publisher documents.
• Effective interpersonal skills and exceptional oral and written communication skills.
• Client relationship building and management skills.
• Working knowledge of digital and social media.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including hours outside of the normal work week.
• Promotes the College’s internal news and external news.
• Serves as the College’s social media content creator.
• Writes copy, takes photos and produces video for social media postings.
• Writes copy for newsletters, news releases, College website, special recruitment pieces, marketing brochures and other publications.
• Collecting information and determines content for articles.
• Responsible for editing and placing news releases, preparing media packets, and developing story ideas and writing feature articles for the College and Foundation.
• Assists with the development of the College’s print advertising including writing copy in consultation with department staff and assisting with placement, production and follow-up.
• Assists in special events planning and execution, Foundation promotions, community relations and public relations activities.
• Works collaboratively with College departments to ensure their projects align with the overall marketing and public relations goals of the College.
• Oversees the planning, development and implementation of all marketing and public relations activities and strategic communication plans throughout the College.
• Assists the President in special assignments, providing leadership for projects emanating from the President’s office.
• Attends meetings as necessary to assist the media in accurately reporting the content of the meetings and preparing a digest for distribution to the College community.
• Develops and coordinates ongoing community-based groups of interested citizens and alumni.
• Coordinates the media placement strategy for the College.
• Works with the President to develop a comprehensive marketing and public relations plan for the College including developing themes, identifying target audiences and media selection.
• Coordinates with the Coordinator of Student Activities to ensure all activities are posted to the web.
• Perform other work related responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President of Operations and/or the President.
Salary: ACCS Salary Schedule –C2 ($70,322-$105,169)
Essential Job Functions:
Work is generally performed in an office environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding. Frequent walking, standing, or sitting may be required. Working hours may vary and occasional evening or weekend work is required. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of everyday objects and materials is needed to perform the job satisfactorily.
Position announcements and employment applications are available at www.bishop.edu and by contacting the Office of Human Resources at (251) 405-7052. Application materials may be delivered to the Office of Human Resources, Room 326 of the Yvonne Kennedy Business Technology Center, submitted via U.S. mail to the following address: Office of Human Resources, 351 North Broad Street, Mobile, AL 36603, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications currently on file must be resubmitted for this position. Delinquent and/or unsigned application packets and/or documents will not be accepted. Only complete application packets will be given consideration for employment.
A completed application packet consists of:
• Completed Bishop State Community College employment application (must be signed)
• Letter of interest with reference to the position announcement
• Current resume
• Transcripts (official required if hired)
A complete application packet must be received in the Office of Human Resources no later than Friday, November 6, 2020 at 5:00p.m. In accordance with Alabama Community College System policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form and to submit a nonrefundable fee of $17.40 (additional charges may apply) for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon receipt of a clearance notification from the criminal background check. Bishop State Community College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-verify). E-verify electronically confirms an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security.
The Selection Committee will screen all applicants for the position. The Committee will select applicants for in-person interviews which may consist of question/answer session and /or skills assessments. Applicants must adhere to the College’s prescribed interview schedule and must travel at their own expense. The College reserves the right not to fill the positions in the event of budgetary or operational constraints. Bishop State Community College is a multi-campus organization and employees of the College are required to travel among various work sites for both day and evening responsibilities and must provide their own mode of transportation. Bishop State Community College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Alabama Community College System, including postsecondary community and technical colleges under the control of the Alabama Community College Systems Board of Trustees, that no employee or applicant for employment or promotion, on the basis of any impermissible criterion or characteristic including, without limitation, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, disability, sex, age, or any other protected class as defined by federal and state law, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. Bishop State Community College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. Bishop State Community College reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding.